Members with Central Maine Power can join a local solar farm without paying their power bills through Arcadia by uploading an image of a recent bill with Central Maine Power while signing up. This is known as dual billing.
How does dual billing work?
Every month, you’ll receive two bills:
- One from your utility company with your regular utility charges, minus the value of your solar bill credits.
- One from Arcadia with your contribution to the solar farm, which equals the solar credits you received on your utility bill, minus your discount. If your contribution to the solar farm is $100 and your discount is 10%, you will pay $100 minus $10 and the total amount you owe Arcadia will be $90.
- In other words, you will receive the full $100 as a solar bill credit on your utility bill even though you only paid $90 to receive those credits, meaning you saved $10 that month. All of this will be itemized on your Arcadia statement, which we send in advance of your automatic billing date.
Together, these two bills — your utility bill and your solar farm contribution — add up to less than what you would have paid your utility company without community solar. You’re guaranteed to save every month.
You'll see the following details on your statement once your project is online:
- Community solar farm: This is your contribution to the solar farm. It’s based on how much electricity your allocation of the farm generated that month. We base your allocation, or share, of the farm on your average energy usage. If your usage changes, your allocation may also change.
- Solar farm savings: You get a percentage — 10% — of your contribution as a discount on your bill. As a reminder, your contribution varies depending on how much electricity the solar farm generates each month. That means your solar farm savings vary, too. Your savings rate on the solar bill credits generated will always be the same percentage, but in months when your farm generates more electricity, your actual savings may be higher. In months when your farm generates less electricity, like in the winter, your actual savings may be a little lower, because your subscribed output could be a lower proportion of your energy usage in those months.
- Payment date: Three days after you receive your Arcadia statement, we’ll charge the payment method you have on file. You can pay via MasterCard, Visa, American Express, Discover, or checking account. It’s an automatic payment, so no action is needed on your end. We’ll route the funds to the solar developers to help maintain your solar farm.
How does bill payment work?
You’ll pay your utility company for your power bill as you normally do. For your contribution to the solar farm, we’ll charge your payment method on file three days after you receive your Arcadia statement. This is always an automatic payment, so no action is needed on your end. We’ll route the funds to the solar developers to help maintain the solar farm.
Have an account with Arcadia but still have questions? Contact our support team by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.